Note that unlike the Raspberry Pi, you’ll login to the BeagleBone Black as root with initially no password.
Step 1. Download the udev rules file from this page, and copy it to your rules directory (one time step).
cp 50-ioio.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
Then restart udev
Step 2. Plug PIXEL into the USB port on the BeagleBone Black and check if it’s recognized using this command.
You should get back either IOIO0 or IOIO1
Step 3. Visit the Oracle JDK download page and download the “Linux ARM v6/v7 VFP Soft Float ABI” version.
- Copy jdk-7u4X-linux-arm-vfp-sflt.gz to your BeagleBone Black. Replace X with the latest version of Java available which was 5 at the time of this tutorial.
- Perform ‘tar xzf jdk-7u4X-linux-arm-vfp-sflt.gz’ to extract the JDK
- Perform ‘export PATH=$PATH:/home/root/jdk1.7.0_40/bin’ to add the JDK to your path
- Perform ‘export JAVA_HOME=/home/root/jdk1.7.0_40’ to set the JAVA_HOME on your installation
- Perform ‘java -version’ to verify your installation
Step 5. Run the respective PIXEL app from either the command line or X windows (startx)
java -Dioio.SerialPorts=IOIOx -jar app-name.jar where x is the port # from step 2